It's interesting that the summer months can be the most productive or the most sluggish, depending on what you choose to do with yourself. Currently, I'm trying to find a summer job. It's been difficult since I'm competing with high school students and the many other college kids who are attempting to save money for tuition/books/eating/books/lodging/etc. However, I did have an interview that went well last week. Praise God! The past few weeks, I've been in a small group going over the book of Jonah (did you know he was a prophet???). One thing that's natural (and sinful) is for us to compare oneself to another. For instance I can read about Jonah's disobedience and think, why didn't he just trust God; yet when I live my own life, I find myself coming up with excuses.
I believe it was Socrates who said, "Examine thyself". What type of magnifying glass do I perceive myself? Am I honestly as hard on myself as I am on others? Honestly, I'm not.
A book that I've been indulging in is faith in real life: creating community in the park, coffee shop, and living room by Mike Tatlock. In it he talks about church as being more relational experiences and less an actual building with four walls and a steeple. Two years ago I took a missions trip to China, where dilution of Christianity in the government churches, leads many Christians to have what are called "house churches". And it's exactly what it sounds like, church in your pjs (kidding about the pjs part). I never knew that this was something that could be done. It's difficult sometimes to grasp the thought that God can do anything.
We are methodical people, we plan for God to appear in others' lives. And I'm not saying let's be anarchists to agenda books and schedules, but I think that we prohibit the Holy Spirit to do what He does best, draw people to God.
On a separate subject, I finished dogsitting for a friend. This is what I realized after the 11 days: 1) I will never get a Corgi, they're too hyper and don't know when to stop chasing things, especially when that thing ends up in the pool; and 2) I miss having a dog. Over the past week or two, my mom has been looking at dogs online. I've been questioning here and there as to whether she is simply wandering on the internet or if she really wants to have a dog again. Hopefully in the next few weeks, who knows, there may be an addition to the family. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment