Monday, August 13, 2012

Forgiveness

In the earlier months of this year, I read C.S. Lewis Readings and Meditations, and it struck me when I was reading the "Forgiveness" section that I have been still harbouring harsh feelings towards those who have done wrong to me. It's not something that can be easily forgotten, especially by me. Reminds me of, "you can receive 100 compliments, but you'll always remember the one insult." Maybe it's our dependency as humans to live in society, and not just live but to be liked as well. No one wants to live in a society that doesn't approve of them, right? The Pilgrims set sail for a new country altogether. If I chose to sail away, where could I go?

This weekend, I joined friends and family up in New Hampshire for a little bit of camping and learning more about God. It was a great weekend that was needed, especially after the final week of summer camp I endured with minion children. What surprised me was Saturday morning when we picked out verses of the Bible that had to deal with fellow believers being one body, sharing the common link of Christ and also forgiveness towards one another.
It's one thing when you try to subdue those feelings of hurt and anger, but God does not let you keep them for long. He shines light on them, through everyday encounters or even with unexpected circumstances, tries to drag you out of the cocoon you've made for yourself of anger, depression, guilt, etc. For the sin inside of us, we want to stay in bed or ignore the responsiblities that lie ahead. "It's human nature!", society says. Does that excuse you? Does this mean that we can keep on going along in life? Paul asks these questions to Christians in Romans about the sacrifice of Christ's blood doesn't give us a "free pass" to sin, but rather to fight against it. To continue on in the race, the battle over sin.

For my 50/50 challenge, I just finished reading Not Easily Broken by T.D. Jakes. Didn't know that he was a famous preacher till my pastor told me about him. But his book was helpful because while reading it, I became more aware of the challenges that the characters faces, they were hard. Lots of times the husband and wife could have thrown up their hands and say "It's over!" But there was something that caused both of them to return back to their marriage, something that looked like it had no pulse and revived it. The verses that kept being repeated was Ecclesiastes 4:8-12,
 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; netiher saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good?                                                   Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to himm that is aone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.                                                                                    Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not [easily] broken.
This verse was repeated because, between the two of them, there wasn't much to go on. Both were successful when it came to their individual desires and work ethic. However, as a couple, there were faults between them that needed to be addressed. And it was only by the grace of God that they came together to work on their marriage instead of leaving it on the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment